by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Europe Bureau Chief
FAGERSTA, SWEDEN (Worthy News) – Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf expressed his sorrow Friday after authorities confirmed that a teenager armed with a sword attacked students at a Swedish high school, killing one person and injuring three.
Police shot and detained the suspect, described by media as a former student at the targeted Brinell high school in Sweden’s central town of Fagersta, with about 13,000 residents.
In a statement released by the royal household, the king said he received news of the attack “with dismay and sadness.”
The school had just reopened after summer vacation, and for some students, it was their first day, witnesses said.
Police told a press conference that the suspect was an 18-year-old man whom they shot and took into custody on suspicion of murder. Local police chief Tommy Alriksson said officers responded quickly to the school, which has about 450 students ages 16 to 20.
POLICE CONFRONT ATTACKER
“The first patrol entered and let us know that the perpetrator was subdued with gunfire,” Alriksson said.
Officers searching the school subsequently found one person dead. Police said their initial investigation indicated that the suspect acted alone and there was no continuing danger to the public.
Public broadcaster SVT, citing unnamed sources, reported that the attacker was wearing a helmet and carrying a sword and was a former student at the school with a previous conviction for assault.
The local health authority said two of those wounded were teenage boys who suffered serious injuries. A third injured person was treated and released from hospital.
“First it was just a regular day really. But then … I saw a guy all covered in blood, at least down his back anyway. Then I saw the police and they flooded in,” student Nellie told reporters alongside her mother, Agnes Strandberg, after a roughly five-hour lockdown.
STUDENTS DESCRIBE PANIC
Another student, Abdulrahem Salmo, said he saw a victim with a bloody wound to the arm.
“Then people called the police and we just all ran from there because we were afraid,” he told SVT.
Several other schools and public buildings in Fagersta were initially locked down as heavily armed police, emergency crews and a police helicopter responded.
Fagersta Mayor Åsa-Märta Sjöström said the small community had been shaken by the violence.
“Our and the school’s main focus right now is to take care of our students and our employees,” she told reporters. “We are working together … to create safety and provide support to those who need it.”
COMMUNITY IN SHOCK
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson canceled a speech he had been due to deliver Saturday. “Our thoughts are with all those affected,” he wrote on social media platform X.
Social Democrat leader Magdalena Andersson, whose center-left bloc leads opinion polls ahead of next month’s parliamentary election, said: “All of Sweden stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time.”
Investigators were also examining the possible online activity of the suspect as they sought to establish a motive for the attack.
Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reported that police were investigating a TikTok account in connection with Friday’s violence that posted a photograph of a sword about 20 minutes before the attack.
The Dagens Nyheter newspaper said the photograph appeared to have been taken in a restroom at the school, based on details visible in the background.
ONLINE POSTS INVESTIGATED
Before the month-old account was removed Friday, it reportedly contained videos referring to two previous episodes of mass violence in Sweden as well as Norwegian far-right mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik.
Authorities had not publicly established a motive for Friday’s attack, and police urged caution as their investigation continued.
Deadly attacks inside Swedish schools have historically remained rare, despite several high-profile cases that have shocked the Nordic nation.
In February 2025, a gunman opened fire at Campus Risbergska, an adult education center in the south-central city of Örebro, killing 10 people before apparently killing himself in what authorities described as Sweden’s worst mass shooting.
Friday’s attack also recalled a particularly chilling precedent from October 2015, when a masked 21-year-old armed with a sword entered the Kronan school in Trollhättan in western Sweden.
DEADLY SCHOOL PRECEDENT
The attacker killed a teaching assistant and two boys before being shot by police and later dying from his injuries. Investigators concluded that the killings were racially motivated.
Despite those high-profile cases, deadly attacks inside Swedish schools have historically remained rare. They are distinct from Sweden’s broader struggle with gang-related shootings and bombings, which has increasingly involved young people recruited by criminal networks.
Data from the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention, known as Brå, also shows a strong link between criminal-environment killings and people with immigrant backgrounds.
In homicides arising from conflicts in criminal milieus, 80 percent of victims and 64 percent of perpetrators were of foreign background, according to a 2025 Brå study.
Swedish authorities have acknowledged serious failures in integrating migrants, although research also points to factors such as poverty, education, family circumstances and previous involvement in crime as contributing to the Nordic nation’s crime problem.
MOTIVE REMAINS UNCLEAR
The Brå study found that people with foreign backgrounds were overrepresented among homicide victims and perpetrators generally.
The council said the increased overrepresentation among younger victims was partly linked to increased gun violence in such environments.
There was, however, no indication from authorities Friday that the Fagersta school attack was connected to Sweden’s gang violence or immigration-related integration problems.
Police continued searching for evidence and examining the suspect’s background and online activities as investigators sought to determine what prompted the deadly attack.
For residents of Fagersta, the violence turned the beginning of a new school year into tragedy and revived memories of rare but devastating attacks that have previously shaken Sweden.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
The following code is how the above article is generated with the Worthy Suite WordPress Plugin.
[worthy_plugins_news_story_body]
This is how you display a story with an image.
Sweden’s King Mourns Victim Of Deadly High School Sword Attack

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Europe Bureau Chief
FAGERSTA, SWEDEN (Worthy News) – Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf expressed his sorrow Friday after authorities confirmed that a teenager armed with a sword attacked students at a Swedish high school, killing one person and injuring three.
Police shot and detained the suspect, described by media as a former student at the targeted Brinell high school in Sweden’s central town of Fagersta, with about 13,000 residents.
In a statement released by the royal household, the king said he received news of the attack “with dismay and sadness.”
The school had just reopened after summer vacation, and for some students, it was their first day, witnesses said.
Police told a press conference that the suspect was an 18-year-old man whom they shot and took into custody on suspicion of murder. Local police chief Tommy Alriksson said officers responded quickly to the school, which has about 450 students ages 16 to 20.
POLICE CONFRONT ATTACKER
“The first patrol entered and let us know that the perpetrator was subdued with gunfire,” Alriksson said.
Officers searching the school subsequently found one person dead. Police said their initial investigation indicated that the suspect acted alone and there was no continuing danger to the public.
Public broadcaster SVT, citing unnamed sources, reported that the attacker was wearing a helmet and carrying a sword and was a former student at the school with a previous conviction for assault.
The local health authority said two of those wounded were teenage boys who suffered serious injuries. A third injured person was treated and released from hospital.
“First it was just a regular day really. But then … I saw a guy all covered in blood, at least down his back anyway. Then I saw the police and they flooded in,” student Nellie told reporters alongside her mother, Agnes Strandberg, after a roughly five-hour lockdown.
STUDENTS DESCRIBE PANIC
Another student, Abdulrahem Salmo, said he saw a victim with a bloody wound to the arm.
“Then people called the police and we just all ran from there because we were afraid,” he told SVT.
Several other schools and public buildings in Fagersta were initially locked down as heavily armed police, emergency crews and a police helicopter responded.
Fagersta Mayor Åsa-Märta Sjöström said the small community had been shaken by the violence.
“Our and the school’s main focus right now is to take care of our students and our employees,” she told reporters. “We are working together … to create safety and provide support to those who need it.”
COMMUNITY IN SHOCK
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson canceled a speech he had been due to deliver Saturday. “Our thoughts are with all those affected,” he wrote on social media platform X.
Social Democrat leader Magdalena Andersson, whose center-left bloc leads opinion polls ahead of next month’s parliamentary election, said: “All of Sweden stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time.”
Investigators were also examining the possible online activity of the suspect as they sought to establish a motive for the attack.
Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reported that police were investigating a TikTok account in connection with Friday’s violence that posted a photograph of a sword about 20 minutes before the attack.
The Dagens Nyheter newspaper said the photograph appeared to have been taken in a restroom at the school, based on details visible in the background.
ONLINE POSTS INVESTIGATED
Before the month-old account was removed Friday, it reportedly contained videos referring to two previous episodes of mass violence in Sweden as well as Norwegian far-right mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik.
Authorities had not publicly established a motive for Friday’s attack, and police urged caution as their investigation continued.
Deadly attacks inside Swedish schools have historically remained rare, despite several high-profile cases that have shocked the Nordic nation.
In February 2025, a gunman opened fire at Campus Risbergska, an adult education center in the south-central city of Örebro, killing 10 people before apparently killing himself in what authorities described as Sweden’s worst mass shooting.
Friday’s attack also recalled a particularly chilling precedent from October 2015, when a masked 21-year-old armed with a sword entered the Kronan school in Trollhättan in western Sweden.
DEADLY SCHOOL PRECEDENT
The attacker killed a teaching assistant and two boys before being shot by police and later dying from his injuries. Investigators concluded that the killings were racially motivated.
Despite those high-profile cases, deadly attacks inside Swedish schools have historically remained rare. They are distinct from Sweden’s broader struggle with gang-related shootings and bombings, which has increasingly involved young people recruited by criminal networks.
Data from the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention, known as Brå, also shows a strong link between criminal-environment killings and people with immigrant backgrounds.
In homicides arising from conflicts in criminal milieus, 80 percent of victims and 64 percent of perpetrators were of foreign background, according to a 2025 Brå study.
Swedish authorities have acknowledged serious failures in integrating migrants, although research also points to factors such as poverty, education, family circumstances and previous involvement in crime as contributing to the Nordic nation’s crime problem.
MOTIVE REMAINS UNCLEAR
The Brå study found that people with foreign backgrounds were overrepresented among homicide victims and perpetrators generally.
The council said the increased overrepresentation among younger victims was partly linked to increased gun violence in such environments.
There was, however, no indication from authorities Friday that the Fagersta school attack was connected to Sweden’s gang violence or immigration-related integration problems.
Police continued searching for evidence and examining the suspect’s background and online activities as investigators sought to determine what prompted the deadly attack.
For residents of Fagersta, the violence turned the beginning of a new school year into tragedy and revived memories of rare but devastating attacks that have previously shaken Sweden.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
[worthy_plugins_news_story_title]
<div style="text-align:right; padding:0px 0px 10px 15px; float:right; width:300px;"><img src="[worthy_plugins_news_story_image name=sm_medium]" alt="" /></div>[worthy_plugins_news_story_body]